4-year (full-time) / 5-year (part-time)
(including 1-year pre-doctoral training year)
Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) has confirmed the recognition of Doctorates from RCSI & UCD where the research is carried out in Malaysia.
This allows collaboration for PhDs between RCSI or UCD and RUMC.
Students to be registered in RCSI or UCD and RUMC and meet the academic requirements of the relevant institution.
To ensure a successful application, the following criteria are required to be met:
- Doctoral applicants who are highly motivated and have clear understanding of the requirements of an NQF Level 10 programme.
- To provide evidence of sufficient financial support and potential research grant funding.
- To submit a project proposal that consists of the following:
- A clear indication of research excellence,
- Suitability of proposal for PhD,
- Potential impact of research on applicant, Malaysia and collaboration with Ireland.
- To select a pair of supervisors in RCSI or UCD in Dublin and RUMC in Malaysia.
- Principal supervisor should be based in Dublin and possess a PhD (or equivalent) and experience in PhD supervision.
- RUMC supervisor should possess a higher qualification and sufficient research experience.
Students undertake a 1-year pre-doctoral training that enables you to learn some core PhD skills such as research methods, research ethics & integrity and academic writing.
Within the first 6 months of the research period, you are expected to have completed the following and commenced on your research;
- Literature Review
- Methodological Plan for Thesis
- Formal Transfer Report
You will be assessed based on your performance during this period through a formal report and viva.
Upon successful completion of the pre-doctoral training year, you will then be registered for a PhD.
Research Fees 2017 – 2018
NOTE: It is the postgraduate’s responsibility to register each year prior to submission of their thesis. Failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification from degree programme.
PhD Full-Time (Euro (€)):
PhD Part-Time (Minimum Five-Year Registration) (Euro (€)):
- An additional National University of Ireland (NUI) fee of €45 per year applies for years 1 to 3.
- Please contact RCSI/UCD Fees Office should you have any queries on the fee payment.
- Do take note of the increase in fee by ~5% per annum.
You are required to possess the following criteria to apply for the Structured PhD programme at RUMC.
- An MSc or upper second class (2.1) honours degree (OR equivalent) in a relevant subject.
- Supervisors from RUMC and either RCSI or UCD.
- Agreed with supervisors on topic for thesis and logistical details for candidature. (Eg: start date, location for initial research training, etc.)
English Language Requirements
- If English is not your first language, you are to possess a high standard of written and spoken English.
- You are to submit IELTS or equivalent language test scores, for both written and spoken English. (eg: TOEFL, Cambridge.)
- An IELTS score of 7.0 is desirable, but scores > 6.5 are also accepted.