Guidelines & Application Process
International student placement (Electives) is when an international medical student joins our students in their clinical teaching rotations in Penang Hospital as well as tutorials/lectures at RUMC. This is NOT to be considered as an internship/apprenticeship.
Our international student placement is open to:
- International students who are in their pre-final years.
- Final-year students from recognised universities.
Involvement in clinical care will be provided under the supervision of attending clinicians. The extent of involvement is given at the discretion of the supervisors.
The placement for Electives is limited and approved on a first-come-first-serve basis under the conditions that all application requirements are met.
Note: Application to RUMC to be confirmed at least six (6) months before your placement dates with completed application documents and administrative fees.
Departments available for students to do their placements are:
Until the present, we had hosted international students from the following countries for their placement.
United Arab Emirates
The administrative fee for international student placement is determined based on duration.
a) Not more than 4 weeks: €300
b) More than 4 weeks but less than 6 weeks: €500
Please take note that the administrative fees are non-refundable.
- Upon receiving an enquiry via email, screening of students will be conducted.
- Applicants will be shortlisted through screening and forwarded to respective Head of Departments for acceptance or otherwise.
- Accepted applicants will be notified on further details on the application process, forms, documents and administration fee.
- The application will be processed once the documents are submitted and the administrative fee is paid.
- Once the application had been processed, it will be forwarded to the Dean for final approval with the Coordinator looped.
- Applicant will be informed on the decision from the Dean with all the necessary information.
- Applicant is required to complete a post-approval form and documentation.
- President, CEO & Registrar and Head of Department concerned will be informed.
- A video Skype session will take place to ensure that applicant is prepared to start their placement and to allow applicants to clarify any doubts.
- President of RUMC Student Association (RUMCSA) will be introduced via email to the applicant to assist them in their student journey upon arrival.
- A reminder will be sent to Senior Management, Coordinator, and Head of Department concerned closer to student’s date of arrival.
- Before the end of placement, student is required to complete a feedback form.
- A photo session will be arranged and this will be considered as a farewell session.
If you would like to enquire on the availability of placement in your preferred department and dates, please complete the enquiry form with the latest CV and email them to email@example.com.
Our officer-in-charge of electives term placement shall revert to you within the next 14 working days.
We are also a partner of Global Education in Medicine Exchange (GEMx).
You may apply for a placement opportunity under this initiative if your university is also a partner of GEMx.
BA (Hons) Bus Admin, CeMBA
Senior Administrative Assistant (Academic), Registry